2006 State Series Rd4

Round 4 – Sandown

September 8-9 2006

Words – Darren Knight Pictures – Neil Hammond

Drew Marget put his new `69 Mustang on pole with a 1:22.0321, Tony Hunters equally new `69 Camaro to start alongside after setting a 1:22.5403. By contrast the well sorted `68 Camaro of Tony Hubbard would be a real threat out of grid box three, alongside the Steve Makarious owned XY Falcon of Les Walmsley. Dean Bryant (Escort 1300GT) suffered engine dramas in practice and was out for the weekend.

Race One (six laps)
Hunter would not line up due to a lack of suitable wet weather rubber whilst Marget and Walmsley left their tyre decision a little too late, not making it to the dummy grid and being turned away from entering the track from the pit lane. Hubbard led the field away while Geoff Taylor (Torana) spun at turn two. Dom Leo brought his fathers Mustang into the pits having discovered no grip whatsoever and Mark Shatz (BMW 2002) retired with ignition problems. Robert Hare (Capri) retired after blowing a head gasket as Jervis Ward (Nb Mustang) and Ray Challis (Torana) harassed the leader Hubbard in the greasy conditions. The increasingly quick Andy Clempson (Nb Mustang) was right on the front trios tail starting the last lap, challenging Challis for third until spinning at Dandy Road but not losing any places. Hubbard kept the powerful Chevy straight enough exiting the final corner to just beat home Ward and Challis, half a second covering the podium winners. Clempson was less than three seconds adrift in fourth, the Toranas of Mark Brewster, Brian Dermott and Stuart Brown next then Paul Dobson (XT Falcon), Brent Trengrove (EH) and Doug Growcott (Torana) rounding out the top ten. Fastest lap: Clempson 1:34.2799. (lap five).

Race Two (five laps)
Wheel spin for Hubbard saw Ward lead at least until the back straight, Tony giving the President a wave as he blasted past, Jervis returning the gesture with a "single digit" reply! Dobson retired after a throttle cable came loose as Walmsley and Hunter ran in close company as they threaded their way from the back. Trengrove and Knight battled all race until both spun within sight of the flag. Brown had a moment on the grass after attacking Marty Lambert, who then had a plug lead fall off. Hubbard won from Ward and Challis, Marget next then Clempson, Walmsley, Hunter, Brewster, Growcott and Dermott. Fastest lap: Marget 1:22.2058. (lap four).

Race Three (five laps)
Challis was slow away while in contrast Walmsley rocketed away to be second behind Hubbard into turn one. Alan Brown (LC Torana) lost an engine and the Hare Capri again overheated as Growcott, Leo and Taylor diced hard. John Luxmoore (Cortina) went through on the Imp of Mick Stupka which had made its usual quick getaway. Marget looked all set to challenge the front runners until a spin at turn 12 saw him lose ground but not track position. Hubbard took an untroubled victory from Walmsley and Hunter, Marget recovering to remain forth then Ward, Clempson, Challis, Brewster, Leo and Taylor. Fastest lap: Marget 1:21.7906 (lap three).

Race Four (12 laps)
The retirements came thick and fast with Dobson, Challis, Brewster and Growcott all out before half distance, Marget spinning again at turn 12 and bogging the `Stang in the wet infield. The Safety Car was despatched but no one could catch Hubbard at the restart. Hunter had a wild moment up the back straight, a calliper locking on and pitching him into the fence. The Camaro continued but with its snout looking a little worse for wear. Marget retired after his excursion as Hubbard was untroubled at the front, winning from Walmsley and Ward, Hunter next then Leo after a great drive followed by Clempson, Lambert, Dermott, Brown and Knight who just made it home after the throttle cable fell off. Fastest lap: Marget 1:21.9979 (lap six).