2007 Phillip Island Classic

Historic Touring Cars sponsored by Rockwell Automation

Words Darren Knight. Pics Neil Hammond

Under 3 litre
Race One saw Pole sitter Jason Humble (RX-2) lead Bill Cutler (BMW) and Wes Anderson (Alfa) into turn one. Fellow GTV 2000 driver Spencer Rice retired whilst in fourth after a plug lead came adrift. Jerry Lenstra (Imp) and Eddie Dobbs (FE) races also ended early as South Australians Paul Atkins and Stuart Barnes (both Cortina GTs) battled hard inside the top ten. The Minis of Ted Brewster and Len Read were locked in a fierce dice that would continue all weekend as Humble held out a determined Cutler with Anderson third. Queenslander Bob Sudall (RX-2) was fourth then Russell Pilven (Datsun 1600), Peter Martin (BMW), Jason Armstrong (Mini), Rory O`Neil (Porsche), Garry Edwards (BMW) and Barnes just over Atkins in 11th. Fastest lap: Humble 1:57.0607.

Humble again led early in Race two as Edwards fell off at Honda but rejoined and Don Knight (Twin Cam Escort) stopped after a fuel pump switch failed. Cutler ran wide at Honda allowing Sudall through into second as Pilven retired after spinning a bearing. Barnes, Read and Brewster were very close as were the Minis of Troy Williams, Helen Lindner, Anthony Ramadge and Ian Pringle who had started from the back. Humble collected another win as Cutler regained second from Sudall with Anderson fourth. Martin was next then Armstrong, Rice, O`Neill, Barnes and Brewster. Fastest lap: Humble 1: 57.3342.

Rice made a rocket start to be third into turn one in race three, having started seventh. Knight retired with an electrical malady as Armstrong and Martin engaged in a huge dice for sixth. Rice powered past Cutler on the front straight to move into second then lined up Humble for an inside run into turn two, grabbing the lead moments later. Barnes retired on the final lap with engine dramas as Cutler and Humble argued over second. Humble fended off the Bimmer attack after some fantastically clean dicing and mounted a final challenge on Rice as the leader sprinted to the line, the Alfa winning by just .09 of a second! Cutler was less than half a second adrift in third then Sudall, Anderson, Martin, Armstrong, O`Neill, Colin Taylor (Mini) and Brewster tenth. Fastest lap: Rice 1: 56.7723.

Over 3 litre (plus Capri & EH)

Fastest qualifier Rob Braune (Charger) would start race one alone on the front row after fellow Mopar man Rob Burns suffered clutch dramas after lining up and had to be pushed off the grid. After the slightly delayed start Braune built a small gap back to Trevor Talbot (Torana) and Jervis Ward (Mustang). Darryl Hansen (ex Stillwell Mustang) coasted to a halt with clutch issues, ruling him out for the weekend while fellow Sandgroper Ron Moller (Torana) also retired. The Nb Mustangs of Bill Trengrove and Andy Clempson battled hard as Geoff Stenton (XY Falcon) visited the pits with the big Henry stuck in second gear, rejoining after quick work from spanner man Richo. Talbot struggled with gearbox issues and could not catch Braune, who was revelling in the grip provided by a new set of Toyos. Cam Worner (XW Falcon) and `65 Bathurst champ Bo Seton (Capri) swapped paint as Queenslander Allen Boughen rotated his brand new `56 Customline at Lukey Heights, some stone chips the only damage. Andrew Williams (Torana) and Laurie Donaher (Camaro) retired on the final tour as Braune took the win. Ward just beat home Talbot for second after a thrilling final lap with Challis fourth, then Alf Bargwanna (Torana), Gary O`Brien (Kingswood), Clempson, Trengrove, John Harrison (Torana) and Harry Bargwanna (Capri) completing the top ten. Fastest lap: Braune 1:52.3762.

Race two saw Braune lead Ward and Talbot away, followed by the much improved O`Brien HQ, now sporting some very neat green striping on the black paintwork. That Holdens original owner Dave Clement looped his Torana at MG as Steve Coad (Torana) diced with former Alfa racer Alan Lewis, having his first run in a newly acquired Capri. Another driver having his first meeting in a new car was Andrew Whiteside, the Benalla built Charger running wide at Honda before continuing. Braune racked up win number two from Ward and Talbot, who were again separated by a bees appendage. Challis was fourth, then Alf Bargwanna, Burns (from the back), Harrison, O`Brien, Clempson and Harry Bargwanna. Fastest lap: Burns 1:51.8772.

Braune led early in race three but Challis slowed rapidly before retiring. Moller, Williams and Graham Slater (Torana) all ended up in the sand trap exiting Southern Loop, only the latter rejoining. Burns was soon up to third and grabbed second at MG after going under Talbot. O`Brien retired as the Chargers ran 1 -2 to the flag (when did that last happen?), Braune winning from Burns with Talbot third from Ward. Alf Bargwanna was next then Clempson, Harrison, Coad, Harry Bargwanna and Donaher. Fastest lap: Talbot 1:52.5722.